Throughout April, the Month of the Military Child, Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) student artwork will be featured at Lynnhaven Mall. Now in its 11th year, "The Art of Being a Military Child" showcases students' artistic interpretations of what it means to be a military dependent, including deployments, transitions, patriotism, family and school. It is the culmination of a contest open to all VBCPS students to which more than 700 art entries were submitted.
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
The purpose of the Independence Middle School AVID College Readiness System is to restructure the teaching methods of an entire school and open access to the curricula that will ensure four-year college eligibility to almost all students by aligning the AVID WICOR strategies with the Virginia Beach City Public Schools’ Strategic Plan, which strives to equip students with skills they need to succeed as 21st Century learners and workers.
All students, and most especially the least served students who are in middle school:
- will succeed in rigorous curriculum,
- will complete a rigorous college preparatory path
- will enter mainstream activities of the school,
- will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges, and
- will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society